Well it seems that reselling the iPhone X has been a bust. It’s funny because I had a feeling after my last post and thought, “What if this doesn’t resell at all?” I had a Verizon one listed on Facebook for $1250 and got a couple of bites on FB. I gave up after the following exchange (you can read it at end of post.) I then cancelled my 4 pre-orders from Apple. I eventually returned one to Best Buy (make sure they don’t slap you with a $35 restocking fee.) I still have a 2nd T-Mobile one that I may be too lazy to return and may just give it to the wife. Lesson Learned – sometimes you win some, sometimes you lose some.
My review of the phone
I did keep a T-mobile one and have been using it since Friday. It’s been a full 3 days, so I feel it’s a good time to review it now. The migration from my 7+ was supposed to be painless until I realized I don’t back up my photos to iCloud (I use Google Photos.) So I had to wipe the device, do a full PC backup of my 7+ and then restore it on the X. This gave me my photos on the X. Besides that, here are my initial impressions.
- Size – I love love love the size. The 7+ has always been too big for me. This is closer to the size of a 6, which is easier to hold. Just the form factor alone was worth it to me.
- The screen isn’t as bright as the 7+. Brightness setting aside, OLED just doesn’t look as bright. Not a big deal; one of those things you go, “Eh, I’ll live with it.”
- Wireless charging is awesome! I bought a cheap “quick charge” wireless charging pad for my house and a “stand” for work. On my first night, I was down to 20% and wouldn’t have been surprised if I woke up 7 hours later at 70% or so. However, it was fully charged. It’s not as fast as the cable, but I don’t need it to be fast since I’m charging overnight. The one at work isn’t fast either, but now when I go home, I leave with an almost fully charged phone vs one that is down to 30%.
- It is noticeably faster than the 7+. Swiping to switch apps is much faster than the home button.
- I’ve pushed the missing home button once. It should take you about a day to get over it.
- FaceID hasn’t been an issue. I haven’t worn sunglasses but I know ‘head resting on side of pillow’ also ‘breaks it.” It’s not a huge deal since you can type in pass code. Once again, one of those, “Eh, I’ll live with it.”
- Animojis which I thought were a gimmick is actually pretty cool.
- I haven’t even tested out the camera yet.
While reselling the phones have been a dud, the phone itself is a winner!