A while back, I wrote about the SNES Classic pre-orders, and I’m sure most of you forgot about it. Well, it turned out that Best Buy had the preorder up on Monday night for about 15 minutes. I was able to grab a handful there. Then I heard that Amazon went live some time on Monday night and had no limit on it; murmurs of some people gettign 50 and 99 of them. The Best Buy presale should have made your Spidey senses tingle because on Tuesday, all hell broke loose on pre-orders. Let’s go down the play by play:
- 10:00AM PST – Walmart had it up and lasted a minute. No exaggeration. All of Reddit pounced on it
- 10:17AM – Target had it up but no one could check out after the first minute. It kept dropping out of your cart when you tried to submit your order.
- 10:30AM – Word got out that Gamestop was taking pre-orders in-store. I calculated my time vs ROI, and it wasn’t high enough for me to leave work to secure ONE system.
- 11:30AM – Gamestop’s site had it up, but the site was essentially down all day. I also learned their stupid app doesn’t let you check out; checking out sends you to the mobile web page. FACEPALM.
- 11:55AM – Thinkgeek had bundles of it up. The decision to buy a useless bundle was tough. Even when you tried to check out, the system froze for over 5 minutes. I eventually closed the window. The next day, I got an order cancellation email. Some people got order confirmations. I’m actually glad I didn’t get it because I didn’t want to deal with the bundle
- 2:20PM – Toys R Us says they are not doing preorders. Probably because they like their site being up and functional.
- 2:37PM – Target’s site is back up and I was able to get a few. That lasted about 3 minutes.
And that was that.
I scored about 8 total, assuming they all ship. I don’t even plan on keeping one because I was playing some NES games on my Fire TV, and realized how much a time suck playing video games is, so I stopped. But you do you. And really it’s not even about the money (I’m guessing the profit will be about $50-$75 per system once Christmas nears.) It’s the fun of trying to get one. I got more of a rush of trying to pre order one than when I’ll sell one.