Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you heard about the new iPhone 7 announcement yesterday. You can read more about it from Apple. I was on the fence about getting one, but seeing as how my mom needs a new iPhone, I figure I’ll get the new 7 for myself and give her my 6S Plus. I don’t plan on buying any extras to resell this year like I did with the 6S last year.
A few hours later, T-Mobile came up with an offer of “trade in your iPhone 6, 6+, 6S, 6S+ variants for a free iPhone 7.” I read through that entire thread and after I stopped facepalming myself at people, let me summarize it for you. Also, Tmonews came out with a helpful article too. Lastly, you can pre-register for the Tmobile iPhone 7 here.
- Valid for NEW and EXISTING CUSTOMERS
- I don’t think you need to sign up for the new T-Mobile One rate plans
- Trade in a FULLY PAID OFF, NO CRACKED SCREEN, NO WATER DAMAGE, working iPhone 6 or greater, you’ll get the iPhone 7 32GB for FREE (meaning you’ll sign up for a 24 month installment plan and you’ll get monthly credits.)
- If you cancel service before the 24 months, you no longer get the credits and will have to pay off the remaining balance on the phone, so you’re sorta stuck with the phone for 24 months.
- If you want the 7+ 32GB, it’ll cost you an extra $120.
- If you want the 7 128GB, you’ll pay an extra $100. Pay $200 for the 256GB.
- If you want the 7+ 128GB, you’ll pay an extra $220 and if you want 256GB, it’ll be $320.
- Lots of people asked if they trade in a 6S 64GB if they will get the 7 128GB for FREE, and the answer is NO. Thus, trading in a 16GB and a 128GB gets you the same benefit at the end of the day.
- If you trade in any 5 series (5, 5C, 5S,) you’ll have to pay $250 for the iPhone 7 32GB. You’ll pay $370 if you want the 7+ 32GB. Then an additional $100 for each memory variant step.
Lots of people asked about the JUMPONDEMAND, and there was no direct answer, but it seems that if you got in on last year’s offer, if you officially “jump” to the 7, you’ll lose the bill credit. And you won’t get this offer either. You could potentially pay off the entire 6S JUMPONDEMAND balance and then take advantage of the offer, but you will be losing about 6 months worth of that monthly discount. You could of course hold on to the 6S until it’s fully paid off, but this offer will be gone by then, and at that point, may as well wait for the next generation. If I was in this situation, I would probably wait until the next generation. Now of course if you have an old 5 or 6 laying around, it would behoove you to turn that phone in to get this offer for the 7. You could then sell the 6S JUMPONDEMAND phone and eventually pay it all off.
What? You thought this would be simple?